Everybody has moments in life when they are inundated with stressful situations. Dealing with some of the pressures that life throws at us can sometimes be overwhelming for many of us. Luckily there are method that can help ease the stress. We have put together a list of 5 useful ways to help cope with anxiety:
- Relax. Most would assume that sitting back and watching a movie or playing solitaire on the computer are relaxing but these are temporary solutions. What the body needs is a relaxation technique — like meditation, deep breathing, tai chi, or yoga — something that has a physical effect on the mind. Deep breathing exercises helps to relax the major nerve that runs from the diaphragm to the brain, sending a message to the entire body to let go and loosen up.
- Sleeping, Eating Right, and Exercise. For a peaceful mind and body, make sure you get the right amount of sleep (minimum of 8 hours). Eat well: Choose fruit, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains for long-term energy. Exercise sends oxygen to every cell in the body so your brain and body can operate at their best.
- Connect with others. Spending time with friends or family is a great way to take your mind off of your troubles. Plan a family trip – doing things with those we feel close to strengthens bonds while allowing us to feel supported and safe. Talking to loved ones also reminds us that everyone has these feelings sometimes. You are not alone.
- Connect with nature. As well as offering health benefits of exercise, taking the dog for a walk or talking a short stroll around the neighborhood can help anyone feel peaceful and grounded. Invite a friend or family enjoy feeling connected to people while your at it.
- Think positive. Keeping optimistic and thinking positive thoughts can help get our minds off the worry track.
Note: Although this tips can help to relive the stresses that come with anxiety, If you feel that your anxiety or worry feels extreme, it could be a symptom of anxiety disorder, please contact a health provider.