RawSpiceBar is an online subscription service that specialize in high quality whole ingredient spices. the company encourages ‘ home cooks to incorporat
I was sent the Oktoberfest flavor kit to try from RawSpiceBar, a monthly subscription service that sends high quality whole ingredient spice his . The kit included 3 easy to follow recipe cards: Horseradish & Mustard Cabbage, Caraway Cheese Soft Pretzels and German Chicken Schnitzel and 3 sachets of 100% Pure Spices: Horseradish & Mustard Seeds; Caraway, Fennel and Anise Bread and Schnitzel spices. Although I am excited to (and will eventually) try all of them, I was most intrigued by the chicken schnitzel recipe. The ingredients were simple and I had most of everything I needed in my pantry.
German Chicken Schnitzel (from rawspicebar.com)
RawSpiceBar’s Schnitzel Spices
2 boneless chicken breasts halves
6 tbsp butter
2 cups breadcrumbs
3 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Butterfly chicken breast and pound out the thickness of the butterflied breasts so that no parts of the breast are thicker than 1/4 inch.
- Combine flour, salt and RawSpiceBar’s Schnitzel Spices in a wide bowl. Set breadcrumbs in separate plate. Whisk egg and add to separate bowl.
- Place each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, coating both sides, and shaking off any excess. Next, dunk the chicken into the eggs, draining excess liquid, then coat liberally with breadcrumbs until covered on all sides.
- Place large skillet over medium high heat and add butter. Once butter is melted, add one piece of chicken and let cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook other side to golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining chicken. Serve hot out of the pan and enjoy!
I thoroughly enjoyed this recipe. I wasn’t expecting it to be as flavorful as it was. I modified the recipe slightly using my own homemade breadcrumbs as I had none available and baking it in the oven, as I had no skillet. It was a hit with my children who requested seconds.
If you are interested in trying future monthly kits from RawSpiceBar, then visit https://rawspicebar.com/product/subscription-spice-box/